Sunday, September 20, 2009

Madness... Sheer Madness I Say...

Okay... college is driving me out of my mind... but I think I am making some headway into getting used to the whole university thing...

This is the first week that I am not totally freaking out about homework and everything that is going on. I have been on the verge of a panic attack for the past month and I think I am finally in the clear. This whole transition has been a really hard one and I know that I am not totally done yet. I really can't believe that I have another year and a half of this madness!!

It has really hit me in the past month that I really an going to be a teacher and there is no backing out now. In 18 months I will be student teaching! Making my own lesson plans, coming up with my own class procedures, following through with my own class discipline, ITS ALL REAL! It has really just hit me in the past weeks. These are the big leagues... no more fooling around.

And now for some other stuff... :) I am convinced that one of the requirements for being a university professor is the ability to talk for HOURS on end. I have one teacher who literally talks for THREE HOURS. It is crazy. How does any person talk for that long? Take into account the fact that only about half of what he says is even relevant to what we are learning. The other half is him telling stories about when he was an admin at three different schools. Holy flip. Seriously?? Can we just get the important stuff and then maybe get out early? WOW...

I have one class that I absolutely love and it is a Language Arts Methods class all about teaching reading and writing. It is literally a godsend. I think that if I didn't have this class to ground me, I would have gone crazy by now.

I am also on a serious reading kick right now. I just read "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" and it was AWESOME! I also read "Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman: An Assembly Such as This", which was also AWESOME!!! I have officially declared reading my absolute favorite thing to do and have been guilty these past weeks of spending valuable HW time reading these books...

No comments: