Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Math At 2am?...Does Not Compute...Literally

I am such a doofus.... seriously... so I had to do this project for my math class where I had to get 10 articles that had to do with teaching math and than summarize and critique them. I finished that at about 1 this morning. After that I decided to do the book work that we had been assigned that, previously, I had had absolutely no time to do. Through it all, I decided at 2 this morning that writing out all the factors of 108 was not really high on my priority list, and put it all away. But guess what? I couldn't sleep! So I watched a movie on my ipod until about 2:45 and then finally fell asleep.
So I get to math this morning and set that dumb project down on my desk and try to forget the fact that my teacher is probably not even going to read a word of what I spent lots of hours writing to complete that project, and we went on to correcting the math HW. This is what one of the problems looked like:

Decide whether the numbers in exercises a and b are divisible by 9:
A) 48,589,107,325
B) 712,598,125,214

okay... so what did I do? I went through and figured out which numbers were divisible by 9 and what the remainders would be on the ones where 9 would not go into them evenly. 48 divided by 9=6 remainder 3, 589 divided by 9=65 remainder 4, etc...

While one girl is up at the board writing out the answers to this problem, I look up and think, "hang on, she's doing that wrong," and I say so to Holly and Lisa who sit across from me, and they say, "no she's doing it right, how did you do it?" As it turns out, I was supposed to figure out if forty-eight billion,etc etc was divisible by 9, not 48 and 589, and 107, and 325. DUH!!!! Maybe it was one of those things where you had to be there for it to be so funny, but I was laughing so hard at my own stupidity that I was crying, as I always do when I laugh, and I am pretty sure Holly and Lisa thought I was actually sobbing out of frustration, but I promise girls, I was really laughing at myself. Rally hard. Mr. Swift is probably under the impression that I am a lunatic now....fantastic.
So, the moral of this story is..............................DO NOT DO MATH HOMEWORK AT TWO IN THE MORNING. NOTHING WILL COME OUT RIGHT...and lets face it...who cares what the factors of 108 are at such an unholy hour....

3 comments:

The Meantime Girl said...

WoW! I just love you Brittain! I totally agree with the 2am thing. I have done weirder things though! Although that probably doesn't surprise you one bit! ha ha ha

Lisa said...

HAHAHAHAHHAAH yeah that was probably one of the most hilarious things that has happened to me all week. Lol that was so funny Brittain!!!!

Holly said...

Oh Brittian, that was hilarious! I love it when you stay up till 2am doing homework, because not only does this happen but we were also able to drag embarrasing stories out of you in institute! Too funny!! Haha, I'm so glad we are taking a 7 in the morning geology class next semester, I bet we will be hilarous in that class being so sleep deprived!!